• Mon - Fri: 9am - 5pm
  • Sat: 8am - 1pm
  • Sun: Moving Appointments Only

Checking Homeowners Insurance for Your Move

Moving is exciting, but also comes with a long to-do list. Figuring out what happens with your home or renters insurance might be confusing. It is important to have the correct insurance in effect at all stages of your move. ABC Quality Moving & Storage offers this guidance to keep you and your property covered.

If you’re recently sold your home and purchased another, your old homeowner’s policy will stop when you close on the sale. You will have a new homeowner’s insurance policy in place for your new property. It is not possible to ‘transfer’ policies because the prior and current properties have different risks. You want to be sure that your policy is in effect until ownership has legally transferred. Otherwise, you might be on the hook for potential damages or injuries if something happens during the lapsed period you still own the property.

Checking Homeowners Insurance for Your MoveMost mortgage providers require you to have a policy ready to go well before closing. Be sure that you contact your carrier at least a month prior to your moving date. You can overlap policies (or have more than one policy in effect concurrently) if you don’t sell your old home right away. It is better to have too much insurance than not enough. You might also want to take the opportunity to shop around for the best insurance coverage and price available.

The home insurance policy in effect when you move will cover personal possessions if damaged or stolen during a covered loss in the moving process. However, any damaged caused by professional movers is not covered by your home insurance policy. You can more about learn about available moving insurance options here.

You might be able to get a refund of any prepaid premiums. Be aware of the length of your policy and how far in advance you have paid. There should not be a penalty for canceling homeowner’s insurance when you move.

When you go from owning a home to renting, your insurance needs change. Renter’s insurance should start the day you take possession of your new rental home. It typically covers personal property during transit or storage. Certain landlords may require a minimum amount of insurance coverage. You should also check to make sure you have specific coverage for valuable personal property such as jewelry, high end electronics or collectibles. Renter’s insurance is less expensive than your homeowner’s policy, but it is just as important.

ABC Quality Moving & Storage is in business to get you and your belongings safely and smoothly. For any moving and storage needs, count on ABC Quality Moving & Storage to handle it all. For a free quote from your local St. Louis house moving company, call ABC at 636-223-MOVE!